• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

radams30

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio

I signed a contract with a local health club on 6/2/05. When I signed up I was led to believe that the first three months would be free and I would only have to pay the sign up fee and the second half of the six months. However, when I went to cancell my membership this past weekend 10/1/05 I was told that the contract was for 12 months not six. I was told verbally by the person that signed me up that I could cancell at the end of the six months. Here is my problem I lost my copy of the contract. But the copy of the contract held by the gym has been altered where it states the length in time of the membership. Supposedly the person who originally signed me up wrote in year instead of twelve for the number of months. So, the person who I talked to when I went to cancell said she wrote 12 months over the word year on their copy of the contract. Without my copy of the contract I can't verify if their was actually any time period specified on the original contract or if it was added later. Either way is it legal for them to alter the contract by writing 12 months over what they claim is year.

seniorjudge

Q: Either way is it legal for them to alter the contract by writing 12 months over what they claim is year?

A: In your state, I strongly suspect that twelve months equals one year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">