• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pawned property destroyed by Katrina

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

I had some property in a pawn shop that was completely demolished by Hurricane Katrina. I was current on the payments. The pawn ticket says if property is damaged while in the care of the business, then the business is responsible for replacing such property. The only problem is that there is no more business! Am I out of luck since the business was destroyed, or is there a way for me to find the owner or insurer or someone with whom I can make a claim? Thanks in advance for any help.

HomeGuru

TaxiDriver said:
What is the name of your state? Mississippi

I had some property in a pawn shop that was completely demolished by Hurricane Katrina. I was current on the payments. The pawn ticket says if property is damaged while in the care of the business, then the business is responsible for replacing such property. The only problem is that there is no more business! Am I out of luck since the business was destroyed, or is there a way for me to find the owner or insurer or someone with whom I can make a claim? Thanks in advance for any help.
**A: you are most likely out of luck unless the owner is still in town, has insurance, files a clam and the insurance company actually pays the claim.
The numerous reports that I have gotten is that the insurance companies are refusing to pay and are going under.

dallas702

The business owner had insurance. You can still contact the owner through the authorizing agency that provides his licenses. Just because the building doesn't exist that doesn't mean the business entity ceases to exist. You may have to wait a long time, but you can eventually recover.

Please don't ask the taxpayers to pay for your loss.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">