• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Default Judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lenoratown

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have a question concerning default judgement. If you are being sued by a creditor (small claims) and you do not provide a written answer within the time allotted, what are the consequences? If you are unable to afford an attorney or unable to find one and are acting on your own behalf, what is the best way to approach the situation. Thank you for your help.

HomeGuru

lenoratown said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I have a question concerning default judgement. If you are being sued by a creditor (small claims) and you do not provide a written answer within the time allotted, what are the consequences?

**A: what written answer? Are you talking about being served the lawsuit as Defendant and not responding by the court specified date? If so, automatic default.

If you are unable to afford an attorney or unable to find one and are acting on your own behalf, what is the best way to approach the situation. Thank you for your help.
**A: if you did not respond to the court complaint, it does not matter. You lost.

lenoratown

reply default

Yes sir, I realize that I will be held in default. What are the penalties for a default ruling? I am the defendant and I cannot find an attorney in my area that will handle civil matters under $2000. I have no legal experiance or advice. The court has commanded that I return a written answer within the next 10 days (5 days left) or I will have a default judgment. I am really at a loss on how to go about this suit. thanks

JETX

Sorry, but the response by HG is NOT correct.

In Texas (and most other states), you are supposed to file an answer to the summons/complaint within the time provided. If you don't, the plaintiff COULD file a motion for Summary Judgment (but you will also receive THAT notice).
In either case (motion for Summary or not), after the expiration of the allotted time, if you have failed to respond, the plaintiff will request a hearing date (and you will be noticed of THAT).
You can appear at the specified time/date for the hearing and your 'failure to answer' is waived as your presence does that and the hearing goes forward.

However, if you don't show on the hearing date.... THEN, the judge (if 'professional') will ask the plaintiff to present and support their: claim, amount of damages, and proof of notice to defendant.
If the plaintiff meets all three, the court will award a default judgment against you.

lenoratown said:
What are the penalties for a default ruling?
The only 'penalty' you have is the default judgment itself. There are no sanctions, fees, costs, etc. awarded for your failing to answer.

The court has commanded that I return a written answer within the next 10 days (5 days left) or I will have a default judgment. I am really at a loss on how to go about this suit. thanks
Very simple. Since this is Small Claims court, the rules are relaxed and informal. Simply respond with a 'general denial' of all claims and ask the court to notify you of the trial date, and sign it. Do NOT elaborate as your answer may tell the other side what your 'defense' is. Also, the court will NOT dismiss their suit based on your answers, so there is NO benefit in giving a long drawn out 'explanation'. Send a copy of the letter to the plaintiff.... and deliver one to the court.

I also STRONGLY suggest you purchase or borrow a book titled "How to Win in Small Claims court in Texas". Though it is written for the plaintiff.... you will learn a lot about how the system works so that you will be better prepared.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">