• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question About Poor workplace conditions and injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1jlr

State: Illinois
Sex: Male

I work at a major state university. For the past several years my direct supervisor & I have not gotten along well at all. He has pulled a lot of stunts to make me look bad and essentially ruin me or my chances to advance here. Bcc-ing supervisors on notes that make me look bad before I've even had instructions or chance, etc. and so much more.

When I was hired initially, by the way, he and his supervisor offered me more money than the university could offer based on Civil Service classification. So they told me to add a certain number of hours of overtime to my time cards to indicate "fantom overtime" that was not worked. I did that for five years and received two raises as well.

Then last year had a major dispute with my direct supervisor. I was placed on "administrative disciplinary leave" for thirty days without pay or benefits. For a man with five daughters, one not emancipated from support being a type one diabetic - that was a major, major blow. It was a bad, bad summer for me. But I digress (partly. Actually, it all seems to dovetail together later, as you'll see.) when I returned from administrative leave, I was told "No more overtime!" Which meant in effect I was losing several dollars per hour in pay and was now forced to make less than the amount for which I was hired.

He and "those in the in" about a year ago created a work area for me basically to go do grunt work. We run a large network for this university in a given department.

I have complained repeatedly that this work area is unsafe. All walk aisles are routinely piled more and higher with old computer equipment, monitors, etc. I am given on-the-spot orders usually to go up there and clean it up or work on machines (computers) in that area.

Last Friday late in the day I was up there getting a PC to bring to my office for a new-hire this Monday.

I picked up the PC, went to turn right into a very narrow walkway (maybe about twelve inches?), got my feet tangled in a monitor that was on the floor, and promptly took a nasty fall. I was headed face first for a vertical tower type PC; so I lifted the one I was carrying to shield myself. The carried PC struck the one on the floor, and my face (eyebrow, cheekbone) hit the PC I was carrying. It was quite a jolt and left a nice mouse over my right eye.

I did leave work and went to the ER and had X-Rays shot, filed a report, etc.

I have complained repeatedly, and it angered me insofar as the university's Safety & Compliance department is housed in our building, across the hall about 30 yards from this accident. The clutter has been repeatedly piled higher and more and more wrecklessly.

Last year while going through divorce, struggling to live on about $500.00 a month, I got behind on my vehicle payments. My supervisor turned in my vehicle location to this repo company one afternoon, and I was forced to watch in humiliation here at work while my vehicle was repossessed. Three hours before I would have had them caught up at Western Union. That is the tip of the iceberg for the stunts this person has pulled.

So, my question/caveat? I wish I didn't have to acknowledge a bit of anger, but should I consider seriously taking this matter to a lawyer, and sueing? My complaints are well known and have been voiced in full staff meetings as recently as twice in the past three months. What of the five years worth of time cards I was instructed to falsify?

I'm about at my wits' end here.....

In The Midwest. Advice please?

HomeGuru

1jlr said:
State: Illinois
Sex: Male

I work at a major state university. For the past several years my direct supervisor & I have not gotten along well at all. He has pulled a lot of stunts to make me look bad and essentially ruin me or my chances to advance here. Bcc-ing supervisors on notes that make me look bad before I've even had instructions or chance, etc. and so much more.

When I was hired initially, by the way, he and his supervisor offered me more money than the university could offer based on Civil Service classification. So they told me to add a certain number of hours of overtime to my time cards to indicate "fantom overtime" that was not worked. I did that for five years and received two raises as well.

Then last year had a major dispute with my direct supervisor. I was placed on "administrative disciplinary leave" for thirty days without pay or benefits. For a man with five daughters, one not emancipated from support being a type one diabetic - that was a major, major blow. It was a bad, bad summer for me. But I digress (partly. Actually, it all seems to dovetail together later, as you'll see.) when I returned from administrative leave, I was told "No more overtime!" Which meant in effect I was losing several dollars per hour in pay and was now forced to make less than the amount for which I was hired.

He and "those in the in" about a year ago created a work area for me basically to go do grunt work. We run a large network for this university in a given department.

I have complained repeatedly that this work area is unsafe. All walk aisles are routinely piled more and higher with old computer equipment, monitors, etc. I am given on-the-spot orders usually to go up there and clean it up or work on machines (computers) in that area.

Last Friday late in the day I was up there getting a PC to bring to my office for a new-hire this Monday.

I picked up the PC, went to turn right into a very narrow walkway (maybe about twelve inches?), got my feet tangled in a monitor that was on the floor, and promptly took a nasty fall. I was headed face first for a vertical tower type PC; so I lifted the one I was carrying to shield myself. The carried PC struck the one on the floor, and my face (eyebrow, cheekbone) hit the PC I was carrying. It was quite a jolt and left a nice mouse over my right eye.

I did leave work and went to the ER and had X-Rays shot, filed a report, etc.

I have complained repeatedly, and it angered me insofar as the university's Safety & Compliance department is housed in our building, across the hall about 30 yards from this accident. The clutter has been repeatedly piled higher and more and more wrecklessly.

Last year while going through divorce, struggling to live on about $500.00 a month, I got behind on my vehicle payments. My supervisor turned in my vehicle location to this repo company one afternoon, and I was forced to watch in humiliation here at work while my vehicle was repossessed. Three hours before I would have had them caught up at Western Union. That is the tip of the iceberg for the stunts this person has pulled.

So, my question/caveat? I wish I didn't have to acknowledge a bit of anger, but should I consider seriously taking this matter to a lawyer, and sueing? My complaints are well known and have been voiced in full staff meetings as recently as twice in the past three months. What of the five years worth of time cards I was instructed to falsify?

I'm about at my wits' end here.....

In The Midwest. Advice please?

**A: why is it you university employees always write these long disertations when you post?

1jlr

Hmmm (insert favorite smile of choice.), dunno. Why is it you non-university types needlessly insert the entire text - yet again? ;) Kidding. I wanted to get the "fair assessment" as much as I could, and try to be intelligent/bright about it. But seriously, I don't see a way to exclude quoted text in a reply. Is there such a thing? Sorry so long.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">