• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New car question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

milesmom

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

Hello, I know that my problem doesn't fall under the lemon law however I would like to know if I have any recourse. I purchased a New car on 9/30 but didnt actualy take delivery until 10/1/05, later that night I smelled burning coming from the hood then noticed my check engine light was on. I called onestar and was adviced that it was exhaust defect and that I need to take the car to the dealer. I took the car back on Monday 10/3 when service was open, by then I also found that the air conditioner doesn't work. Now my car is been being service for both problems and wont be ready till 10/5, but my question is do I have to keep the same exact car if I found defects in it the say day I drove off the lot. I don't want to get out of the deal but I want a car that is defective the day I drive it off the lot.

new car question

As the previous post correctly notes, there are no lawful provisions that cover your situation. YET. I would keep a detailed log of further difficulties (type of problem-time in shop to repair-etc) in the event that they reach the threshold definition of a lemon. See California consumer sites for complete info. BTW, the dealership, even though they didn't cause the problem (?) should be bending over backwards with the blessing and assistance of the manufacturer to make you happy. Customer satisfaction is a crucial aspect of auto sales; if you feel the dealership is not going out of their way to make you happy, contact the manufacturer directly. I guarantee they will help.

I remember "problems" we had with new vehicles (I worked at a Toyota dealership for 10 years) in terms of smoking manifolds. New vehicles, especially ones that are transported by ship, are usually sprayed with an anti-corrosion liquid (in the engine compartment) to protect against salt water exposure. This liquid "cures" with engine heat, and we would occasionally get a real smoker. This is one possible source of the burning smell. Also: some vehicles "check engine" light will come on if the gas cap is not completely tightened!

My point is that you could be a moderate drive (10-20 miles to cure the anticorrosion treatment) and a snug-up on your gas cap (Hyundais especially) from happiness. Trust me, its worth looking at. Only well seasoned mechanics might be aware of simple solutions that will make you happy.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">