• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car repair bill question (TN)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ContourSVT

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I'll try to keep this simple. I took my car in for repair work. After a few hours, they called me on the phone and gave me an estimate of $410. I authorized them to do the work. A couple of days later when I returned from a business trip, I went in to pick up the car. I was given a bill for $122. My initial impression was that the repair must have been easier than they'd thought, and as it was a Saturday my service writer wasn't there to ask...just the cashier. I paid the bill and left. Later that day, when I looked closely at the bill, I realized that they had not charged me anything for labor, only the parts. The line for labor is listed as $0.00. I thought that they must have decided to be nice and do the work as warranty work (since the warranty had just expired the week before).

Yesterday I got a voicemail from the dealership, they'd like me to call them. I suspect what they're going to say is that they made a mistake on the bill and they want me to come back in and pay the labor charges. I would like to know my legal standing with respect to not paying more than I already have. I'm under the impression that I settled the bill I was given, and that this business transaction is finished. Is there anything from a legal perspective that gives them the rights to modify a bill after it's been paid?

Thanks for your attention and input.

dallas702

You got the service, and therefore owe the money.

What do you think a judge would do if this went to court? He'd say just what I did...you got the service so pay the bill.

ContourSVT

But I did pay the bill. The bill just doesn't include any labor charges (actually, it lists Labor as $0.00). It's their mistake, why should I pay for it? And thanks for nothing, since you didn't give me any idea of my legal standing, which is what I asked about.

rdprx

ContourSVT said:
But I did pay the bill. The bill just doesn't include any labor charges (actually, it lists Labor as $0.00). It's their mistake, why should I pay for it? And thanks for nothing, since you didn't give me any idea of my legal standing, which is what I asked about.
I think your right...you should not have to pay b/c the labor shows $0.00 and you finished the transaction. (its like you buying something at a store, rings up lower price, finish transaction and get call at home saying it was a mistake come back and pay.....)

Some Random Guy

its like you buying something at a store, rings up lower price, finish transaction and get call at home saying it was a mistake come back and pay.....)
No, its more like you go to the store and buy two items. The cashier rings up only one but puts both in your bag. Then the next day, the store calls about the other item.

dallas702

Your legal standing is that you received services and now don't want to pay for them. Just because they made a mistake on the bill doesn't mean you get free labor.

Do it your way, and when they take you to court the judge will order you to pay the rest of the charges PLUS legal and court fees.

Don't be stupid and a cheat at the same time. Pay for the services you used.

How would you like it if you worked 2-4-6-8 hours on a job for someone and they didn't want to pay you because of a bookkeeping or computer error. If you want people to treat you honorably, treat them honorably!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">