• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Fraud Using March of Dimes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dorothy capps

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TN

Several weeks ago I received a phone call from a local radio station promoting a coupon book with proceeds going to the March of Dimes. One of the selling points was that I would receive $100 in free gasoline. I agreed to the purchase for $59 and a lady delivered the book shortly after to my office. However, she said she did not have the gas voucher with her because she said they were so "valuable" that "they" wouldn't let her carry them anymore. So, I had to send an additional $4.95 to get the gas voucher. What came was a slick advertising that I sign up for a bunch of free samples (like AOL on line for 45 days) and for each one I signed up for I would recieve a $10 voucher. I get these type of come-ons everyday in my email spam. I don't need to spend good money BUYING them.

I called the marketing company that printed the coupon book to tell them of my displeasure and the man on the other line refused to give me his name and then hung the phone up on me. I then called the March of Dimes director and was told that they had nothing to do with the sale itself. It was a promotion through the local radio station and they did receive a check, but that was all they had to do with it. In fact, she said she didn't believe that March of Dimes was even mentioned in the coupon book. I told her that it certainly was--on the second page-their logo and goals. She said, "Well, that wasn't in with the coupon book we received."

I then called the Sales Manager at the radio station who said he was only doing the guy at the marketing company a "favor" but he would try and get my $4.95 back (the cost of mailing out for the voucher). I told him that wasn't good enough and that I wanted what I was promised in the beginning of the contract. He said he would see what he would do.

I received a call from the owner of the marketing company today who says "I was only doing this as a favor to someone else. You are the only dissatisfied customer we have had." Of course, I don't believe that (the sales-manager at the radio station told me I was only the 4th person to complain out of 400). Anyway, the marketing company guy told me he would refund my $4.95 (if I return the coupon book and the slick), but I told him I wanted my $100 in gas. He refuses to even discuss any other options with me. This is where it stands. Do I have enough to take to an attorney? And if so, whom should I go after?

dorothy capps

reply to charity donation

Yes, of course it sounded too good to be true. However, I knew the station was well known in this area, and has been in business for quite a few years (at least 25). Also, when I questioned it myself, the lady said that the people involved donated these things so it was tax deductible to them. Besides, does that make it legal to do something like this? I know the radio station was the one soliciting for this "charity" because the sales manager admitted it and so did the director of the local March of Dimes chapter. Heck, if it is ok to do this to people under the cape of charity, I guess I can just quit my job tomorrow and start making phone calls to unsuspecting individuals, right? Obviously not everyone is as saavy as you seem to be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">