• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recently bought a house and discovered high levels of mold. How to proceed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molded

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Just over two months ago we bought a house, and went through the usual motions of hiring a home inspector as well as a basement inspector. The home inspector noted in his report that there was water damage due to a leaky roof, but that the roof had been repaired by the owners prior to the current sellers, and that the water damage was now dry. However, he failed to note that there were significant amounts of mold in the insulation and behind the drywall surrounding the water damage.

The listing agent had mentioned to us on a separate account that we could test for mold, but that he was sure we'd find mold and that it was common and nothing to worry about. In addition to the mold where the roof had leaked, there is a closet in the front of our house that had evidence of mold coming through the paint. This was something that the agent and the seller were aware of, but we were again told that it was not such a big deal.

In the condition report that was presented to us, the agent and sellers had noted that they had no knowledge of mold in the house.

The amount of mold that is in our house is extremely high, and has been found on every floor of the house. The cost to rid our house of mold is going to be extensive, and we have suffered significant allergy problems since we moved in.

We have already hired a mold inspector. How do I proceed, and who should be responsible for expenses to correct the problem?

unbelievable2

Dont Hire

Your best bet is to hire a mold hygenest to take care of the mold and move on with your
life. Dont try and blame anyone but yourself for not catching it before you signed the escrow papers.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

FarmerJ

BTW just curious here, is your front closet is in the corner with two outside walls and the furnace at the opposite end of the home ? The home I grew up in was a 50s rambler designed that way , the closet by the front door was in a corner with two outside walls, the closet & that side of the house were at the opposite end from the furnace, the closet had mildew /mold marks that my mom just used to clean off with something after cleaning the closet out so it was not so tightly packed then left the door open so heat could get into it. AS far as any other mold in the house goes and who to go after if your mold inspector can determine possibly how long the condition might have gone on then I would suggest speaking to a real estate atty for assistance. In the long run its possible that the cost of suing someone might exceed the cost of repairs.

Hot Topic

The OP posted that a mold inspector had been hired. Nothing can be done until the report comes from the inspector identifying what types of mold are present. Not all mold is dangerous.

wyett717

My mistake! I should have specified...why wasn't a mold inspector hired before the purchase of the house, when the listing agent suggested it?

LSD1

Inspection a must.

Yeah, being a SC agent... An inspection is a great decision to make at all times. It only shows what ya can't see. That can't hurt and then you can make an in formed decision. instead of being blind sided.

shannonups

Move out asap and dont move back in untill its cleaned up. I was exposed to mold for over three years and I have serious medical issues. I was exposed on the job and filed a w/c claim. I fought it for 7 1/2 years, and won. It was the first case in Indiana History. It is a very hard case to prove given that there are not industry wide standards. Untill there are the litigation will be long and hard and will cost a large amount of money. Although my settlement was very large, I would never put myself or family through it again. My prayers are with you and your family.

Antigone*

Move out asap and dont move back in untill its cleaned up. I was exposed to mold for over three years and I have serious medical issues. I was exposed on the job and filed a w/c claim. I fought it for 7 1/2 years, and won. It was the first case in Indiana History. It is a very hard case to prove given that there are not industry wide standards. Untill there are the litigation will be long and hard and will cost a large amount of money. Although my settlement was very large, I would never put myself or family through it again. My prayers are with you and your family.
Shannon, lol...I'm not sure if you noticed, but Molded, this original poster has been gone since 2005. Some necroposting dork revived it a few weeks ago.

I'm sure the poster would have appreciated you advice had he been around though;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">