• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on filing taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jenfroggie

I am a stay at home mother. I am curious if anyone knows how much I have to make as far as income before I am able to file taxes and get the earned income credit for my children.. Is it certain amount before they will let you claim or any amount of money you have received during the past year. I have received a few child support checks , only 3 actually, and have done some babysitting/child care on the side , but I am trying to figure out about taxes this year, to figure out about getting the extra money I got last year when I was working. It was about $3,000. I know I can let their stepfather claim them all but would be less money..so I am trying to find out how much money I needed to make this past year for me to be able to file taxes...
Please help..year is almost over...
Jenfroggie

E

eadelman

Earned income credit

From the facts you give, you do qualify to file a return and receive an earned income credit. The credit is calculated by multiplying your earned income by a percentage which varies depending on the amount of earned income you have. The tables for calculating this are part of the instructions to the income tax return.

J

jenfroggie

ok another question

thanks for your reply. I am going to have a blonde moment here, even though I am not a blonde, no offense if you happen to be a blonde.. :eek:)

So if I claim the $170 I received from my ex for child support so far this year, then I still have a chance of getting some money for my children...
thanks
jen

E

eadelman

You qualify for the dependency exemption because you supplied more than half the support and your child lived with you. Therefore, the receipt of the $170 does not disqualify you.

And you are very welcome.

J

jenfroggie

reply to eadelman

hi there again... i have talked to others now and I looked on the IRTS website. and the child support money does not count as earned income... and you mentioned something about dependency exemptions...what is that.. I did not work outside of the home at all this year.,,,I just did some babysitting here and there..and have not paid any taxes on the money I received from it,. and actually my fiance provided all the support for the family this year,, he works 2 jobs and I stay at home with the kids......thought I would tell you those things to see if it changes things...oops gotta go baby is screaming at me for her bedtime bottle..lol
thanks for advice
jenfroggie

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

You may want to inquire in the Tax Law forum on this service.

E

eadelman

I'm sorry to say, the new info you gave me does change things. I thought you had $3,000 earned income. I guess that was the prior year. If you have no earned income, you do not qualify for the credit because the credit is a percentage of earned income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">