• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wedding Videographer no show

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pete415273

I hired a wedding videographer in Dallas, TX for $700. He made it to the wedding, but couldn't find the reception hall and never made it. I hired him for 8 hours and maybe got 2 hours of footage. Can I sue him in small claims court? Can court costs and punitive damages be awarded?

divgradcurl

pete415273 said:
Can I sue him in small claims court?
Yes.

Can court costs and punitive damages be awarded?
Yes, and no.

This is a breach of contract action -- the videographer breached his part of the contract by only performing 1/4 of the contract (2 hours out of the 8), so you are entitled to reimbursement for the 3/4 of the contract that remain unfulfilled. You are also entitled to court costs, if you ask for them and if you win. However, punitive damages are almost never awarded in breach of contract cases -- you can ask, but don't hold your breath.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">