• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Found Not Guilty.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michaelmoore196

What is the name of your state? Texas

To make a long story short I was charged in a class c misdemeanor for thefy which I did not commit. They claimed to have all this evidence against me. I decided to go to court and fight it and not make a plea with the prosecutor because I was innocent. The witness's did not even show up and I was found not guilty and charges were dismissed. My concern is that will the accusation that I commited theft be on my record though? For example if a company I am interviewing with does a background check will the charge or accusation of theft come up even though I was not guilty? Do I need to take further action or have nothing else to worry about. Thanks for all the help.

JETX

michaelmoore196 said:
The witness's did not even show up and I was found not guilty
Sorry, but that does NOT mean you were innocent. It only means that the court found that without the witness testimony there was NOT sufficient evidence to convict.

and charges were dismissed.
Again, not true. Charges were made.... and a trial was held. You were not found guilty. That does not mean that the charges were dismissed. For that to be correct, it would have had to have been done BEFORE the trial.

My concern is that will the accusation that I commited theft be on my record though?
Yep.

For example if a company I am interviewing with does a background check will the charge or accusation of theft come up even though I was not guilty?
Yep.

Do I need to take further action or have nothing else to worry about.
Depends. How much 'worry' do you want??
You have a criminal record. Does that worry you??

BTW, what does ANY of this have to do with small claims???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">