• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

administratively dissolved business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Callalily

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Georgia.
I filed a civil suit against a business, incoporated of course, and won by default, but have not able to collect on the judgement. I hired a contractor to build a retaining wall near my home, which was built up incorrectly, the reason for my suit. The wall has since come down completely. I now need to go back and admend that suit for more money, or file a new suit. But I have since, found that company has been "administratively dissolved by the state". I know once a business has been administratively dissolved, the owner loses his limited liability protection status, and now operates as a sole proprietor. Can I now file a suit against him and his personal assets? And if I can file against his personal assets, Georgia being a community property state, can I attach his wife's income, because she works outside the business. If the previous lawsuit is still valid how do I go about garnishment procedures, or something. Please help.

JETX

Callalily said:
I know once a business has been administratively dissolved, the owner loses his limited liability protection status, and now operates as a sole proprietor.
Sorry, but NOT true. Simply, the corporate identity no longer exists. There is no default 'status' assigned to an individual.

Can I now file a suit against him and his personal assets?
Of course you can. After all, anyone can sue almost anyone else over almost anything. However, he can challenge your filing as he is NOT personally liable for anything that was done with a contract with the CORPORATION.

And if I can file against his personal assets, Georgia being a community property state, can I attach his wife's income, because she works outside the business.
Georgia is NOT a community property state, so the rest of your issue is moot.

If the previous lawsuit is still valid how do I go about garnishment procedures, or something. Please help.
You are going to have to find out what assets the company has/had and what happened to them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">