• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My computer is gone!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TKE318

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Ok, I need to find out what type of legal stand I have here. In Mid March I dropped my computer off to have it repaired. I sat down at the store on a computer and typed what was wrong with it. The computer store printed it out and gave it to me and said they will call in a few days. There was no contract involved. It took the computer store until mid April before it was done. All I needed was a new mother board and they were to swap out my old memory and charge me like 80 dollars for another gig of memory. Well when the bill finally rolled around I had used the money for a household emergency. I felt terrible about this as I have spent over a thousand dollars at this store before. I spoke to a csr and explained in embarrassment of my hardship. She understood and asked when I could pay the bill. I told her that mid May would be the earliest as I had a student loan refund due to me. If I could pay it sooner I would and that I would keep in touch. I called 2 more times to let the company know that I still did not recieve my check yet. I called a third time to pay my bill at the end of May and the manager said that the property was considered abandoned and that it was not there anymore. He told me that they took it apart and used the parts to build a better computer. They do have a sign 68 feet away from the entrance in the back of the store that reads "ALL PROPERTY UNPAID AFTER THIRTY DAYS OF COMPLETION WILL BE CONSIDERED ABANDONED" where nobody can see it. The total cost for labor was 60 dollars. They still had there merchandise and they kept about 500 dollars of mine and sold it. Somehow this doesnt seem fair. There has to be some criteria for a legal seizure of property. Why would they tear it down for parts when the part they put in it made the computer run fine? Any help would be appreciated .

shortbus

There is criteria for the legal seizure of property. They posted it in the store. You abandoned your computer. Whether it was working is not part of the policy.

You may not have seen the sign but it is likely to be enforced as a condition of the repair because it is posted, it's a common provision for such stores, and 30 days is a reasonable limit. Unless the CSR specifically told you "we won't consider your property abandoned" then it still applies to you.

stephenk

Did any of the paperwork the store gave you have the 30 day abandonment provision printed on it? if no, take the store to small claims court.

TKE318

The paperwork that was given to me had nothing about abandonment. I would think that there is some criteria for abandonment. Like no contact for 30 days straight or the store had no communication with me. That is not the case. They had the communication with me in there log. I saw it when I went down there. The csr told me to just keep in touch and let them know what is going on which I did. When I told the manager that he said she doesnt know store policies. Then why is she dealing with customers? This is what she told me to do and I did it. IF I needed to do anything else I would have done that also. The store was only out 60 bucks Im out over 500. Does it sound like I was abandoning it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">