• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal car sale and no title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jennybug35

What is the name of your state? California

I purchased a 2004 Land Cruiser six months ago from a private sale. The seller has a license to sell vehicles and bought it from an auction before selling it to me. I gave him the money to register and pay taxes on the sale. It has been six months now and he keeps giving me the run around. I looked it up on carfax and it still shows one owner. I called the DMV and no title transfer has been made. :mad: What are my legal rights? I cant drive a car that is not registered.

title problems

Vehicles are frequently sold without the title being available. Dealerships, for instance, take trade-ins whose title is held by a lien holder. The dealer calls the lien holder and obtains a "payoff". That payoff is sent to the lienholder, who signs off and forwards the title to the dealer. This process can take a while, during which time the vehicle can be put up for sale (after smog, etc) and sold. Did the seller give you a copy of the registration? Technically, the registration will remain current until the expiration date on the reg. What excuses is the seller giving you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">