• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

security system warranty held hostage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bfl

What is the name of your state? Virginia.
As an option in building my house, I selected a security system, through my builder. After recently moving in, I find that the security company which installed the hardware and wiring will only honor the warranty if I select them for system monitoring. This practice was never explained when I selected this option with my builder. I have a wiring problem and now the security company will only agree to make repairs at their non-warranty rates. I closed on the house June 29, 2005. The hardware which was made by GE has a 2 year warranty on the control panel and a 4 year warranty on the contacts (per their website). The problem I have appears to be a bad contact. I contend that I paid for a system and expect the installer to stand behind his materials and workmanship and that monitoring has nothing to do with that. Requiring someone to pay for additional services in order to honor a warranty and not disclosing this in advance is a disreputable business practice in my opinion. But, do I have any legal recourse? Any advice is appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">