• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advice on possible fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KAM24

i purchased a car and 4 months later i was told to bring the car back because they had to do inventory on it. And i called the financed company and they said that they never financed me but when i registered and insured my vehicle their name was on my papers. I wanted to know what should i do to find out if it was fraud on the dealerships behalf or what.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Hmmm, sounds like money laundering and fraud.

How do you find out? Are you worried about clear title to your car? Are you worried this is a stolen vehicle? Are you worried about registration issues, etc. Car payment history? Who are you paying? The dealership or this finance company?

You need to provide details. BUt I think at this point, it is safe to say you should speak with an attorney (transactional or criminal) and see what they have to uncover.

Try attorneypages.com or call your state bar association and ask for lawyer referral.

K

KAM24

thanks for your reply

i have filed a suit against the dealership myself because the attorney's that i talk to said i should go to small claims court first, and if i need there help after that to contact them then. i really appreciate your advice thank you and sorry i replied so late.

T

TimC

While vehicles are parked on a dealer's lot, they are actually financed by a financial institution of some sort. The dealership, therefore, is required to have the vehicles readilly available for routine audits that are conducted by the financial institution. Once the car disappears from the dealer's lot, the financial institution knows that it should be paid for that car immediately.

I know this because, as a teen, I worked in the business office of a dealership, and know how stringent and "nosey" these audits can be.

Knowing that this is the case, the dealership is likely trying to make it appear that the car has not been sold yet, therefore they will not have to pay the financial institution. They want the car in possession when the auditor shows up.

The bottom line is that I am suspecting fraud on the part of the dealership. What I cannot fathom is why they would tell you that they had to do an inventory on the car.

Was this a new car or a used car? Does the title and paperwork you have on the car match the VIN on the car itself?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">