• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

payment due dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brena01

What is the name of your state? COLORADO

I purchased a horse from a lady in Ft. Lupton, CO in the end of August. On August 29th I signed a lease agreement that stated board would be $285 a month due on the 15th of the month. She did not charge me for any days in August as we were waiting for ownership to transfer. On, I believe, the 18th of September I paid her $280, in cash. I did not have a copy of the agreement until the 21st and had forgotten the amount due. I told her I would pay the additional $5 with next months board and she said that was ok. At that point all of September was paid for (minus the $5).

In accordance with my boarding agreement with her, I notified her on the morning of the 5th that I would be moving my horse in 10 days. On the 15th he will be moved. This also happens to be the day that board is due. The amount due would be 147.50. (1/2months board, 142.50, as well as $5 from September). There have been no damages to her property due to use by myself or my horse.

She has now informed me via e-mail that she is charging me $315.00 before I am allowed to move him. This is more than one months board and he will only be at her facility for 15 days. I have requested the invoice that she references in her e-mail and have not received a response.

Can you please let me know what recourse I can take to protect myself from getting charged this excess amount? Also, I have heard from a few different people that if I write her a check and on that check write FINAL PAYMENT and she cashes it, she is accepting that that is the last payment she will receive, is that correct?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">