• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

phony cell phone plan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jclimb

What is the name of your state?Louisiana
Several years ago I purchased a cell phone and plan from one of the major providers. I was told by my salesman that I would get free long distance anywhere within my state for 1000 minutes. When I recieved my bill I was shocked to see that I had been charged long distance for all the calls made outside of my city. I went back to the store to confront my salesman only to be told that he was fired for making false promises. I turned in my phone and told them that I did not want to do business with them anymore. The sales manager told me that heunderstood and would take care of it. Recently I pulled a credit report and noticed that a collection agency affiliated with this company had a ballance of $490 dollars against me. First I went back to the store where the young manager could not help me. I then called the retention department with the company and they told me they would settle for $325. I pleaded my case and told them that if they could just pull the salesmans file they would understand. They told me that they could not do that(how convenient.) I finally asked the advice of the Public Service Comisssioner. He wrote them a letter and they responded saying that I had moved to California and that is why I cancelled my contract. I have never been to California. I would appreciate any advice on this matter. :confused:

Last edited:

dallas702

Go back to the PSC and tell them that this company is a bunch of liars. Call the credit reporting agency and tell them that you have been sandbagged and want this item off your report. Don't let up until it has been removed. The fact is that if you were promised a service that the company doesn't provide you can cancel the contract. It happens all the time in LD and cell service. That said, you should have read your contract to be sure....because we all know how "honest" commission salesmen are, right?

The cell biz is no different than low rent used car lots these days.

shortbus

One thing to watch out for -- uncollected debt often gets sold to new collection agencies in batches. They buy for cheap hoping to shake loose a few dollars. However they don't know the story behind any individual claim or whether the claim is erroneous.

seniorjudge

dallas702 said:
Go back to the PSC and tell them that this company is a bunch of liars. Call the credit reporting agency and tell them that you have been sandbagged and want this item off your report. Don't let up until it has been removed. The fact is that if you were promised a service that the company doesn't provide you can cancel the contract. It happens all the time in LD and cell service. That said, you should have read your contract to be sure....because we all know how "honest" commission salesmen are, right?

The cell biz is no different than low rent used car lots these days.
The PSC does not handle complaints about radio service; it is the FCC that covers this.

http://www.fcc.gov/

dallas702

But, the LA PSC might regulate the business of providing cell or other communication services in that state, as others do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">