• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no contact with person owing me money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TOOtrusting

What is the name of your state?CALIFORNIA

At the end of July, I chatted to an individual online whom I chose to meet. We spent a lot of time together, talking. I was told their situation: New to area, no savings, no family support, great job but no paycheck yet, bad credit because they have the same name as relatives, financial accounts in home state, student loans, and so on.

I felt bad hearing their predicament, they could not get a plane ticket home, they had been evicted there and no time to wait on establishing accounts here. We used my credit card to buy a ticket, I was immediately paid cash in hand. They promised they would pay me $50 for transportation to and from the airport, I loaned them $50 cash at the airport as well.

Having not been paid, they were unable to make $300 weekly rent. The agreement was I would charge the rent on my credit card, to be repaid when they received a paycheck. I paid the rent another week too. In addition, their credit passed and they were offered their ideal residence, if first month rent and a deposit were made. I took a $3000 cash advance on my credit card mid August for them to buy a car and pay the required sum to move into their new residence. The advance fee was 4%, or $120, I borrowed $20 from them for gas to make an even $100. The interest fees for the advance are high. They have a really well paying job, I was told they would save $1000 from each paycheck every 2 weeks to pay me back. A payday was within a couple days, that was to be the first $1000 out of $3800, which I have not seen. Enough time has passed for them to have saved the money I am owed.

I was called one evening and they criticized me in every way, shape, and form. That had become typical of spending time with them, yet they called and asked me to come see them most days. I was always pleasant. The call went on for over 2 hours. The outcome was if I tried to pursue the money in any way, they would file a restraining order and I would never see the money. I vaguely know where they live and work. They made clear I have no options, there is nothing in writing and no witnesses. If I was to try and contact them and be friendly, such as on messenger or call, I was told I would never see my money. They were going to change their phone number, regardless.

I was asked to email them an itemized statement with what they owed me, I saved all receipts. They told me they would drop a check in my mailbox, either a couple or one for payment in full. The last I spoke to them was that night, a week before the end of August. They called the next morning, I but missed it. No idea why. I emailed the amounts I am owed once during the first couple days of September, then once more at the end of the month so I would receive the money before I had to make a credit card payment the first week of October. At the end of both emails I requested to be mailed a cashier check or money order with my address and asked to be notified with either a reply or caller ID blocked call when I would get the money and made a point I would not respond when I found out. The second time, I found my email had been blocked, I used another address. Today I tried sending an email that very politely asked if I will see my money, to find that address had been blocked as well. I have saved the emails as Word files or in my sent messages.

The most I can pay toward the balance on my credit card is $500 a month, with high interest. I do not work a few months of the year and would only be able to make minimal payments in that time. Please advise. What can I do? If small claims is an option that would have a favorable outcome for me, please let me know how to pursue that. Thanks.

reasonable

Yes, you might be able to sue this person in CA small claims. I say "might" because you will need to serve this person while he/she is physically in CA.

Your other option is to check and see if the small claims court in the state in which this person lives will allow you to sue for an action arising in another state.

seniorjudge

TOOtrusting said:
What is the name of your state?CALIFORNIA

At the end of July, I chatted to an individual online whom I chose to meet. We spent a lot of time together, talking. I was told their situation: New to area, no savings, no family support, great job but no paycheck yet, bad credit because they have the same name as relatives, financial accounts in home state, student loans, and so on.

I felt bad hearing their predicament, they could not get a plane ticket home, they had been evicted there and no time to wait on establishing accounts here. We used my credit card to buy a ticket, I was immediately paid cash in hand. They promised they would pay me $50 for transportation to and from the airport, I loaned them $50 cash at the airport as well.

Having not been paid, they were unable to make $300 weekly rent. The agreement was I would charge the rent on my credit card, to be repaid when they received a paycheck. I paid the rent another week too. In addition, their credit passed and they were offered their ideal residence, if first month rent and a deposit were made. I took a $3000 cash advance on my credit card mid August for them to buy a car and pay the required sum to move into their new residence. The advance fee was 4%, or $120, I borrowed $20 from them for gas to make an even $100. The interest fees for the advance are high. They have a really well paying job, I was told they would save $1000 from each paycheck every 2 weeks to pay me back. A payday was within a couple days, that was to be the first $1000 out of $3800, which I have not seen. Enough time has passed for them to have saved the money I am owed.

I was called one evening and they criticized me in every way, shape, and form. That had become typical of spending time with them, yet they called and asked me to come see them most days. I was always pleasant. The call went on for over 2 hours. The outcome was if I tried to pursue the money in any way, they would file a restraining order and I would never see the money. I vaguely know where they live and work. They made clear I have no options, there is nothing in writing and no witnesses. If I was to try and contact them and be friendly, such as on messenger or call, I was told I would never see my money. They were going to change their phone number, regardless.

I was asked to email them an itemized statement with what they owed me, I saved all receipts. They told me they would drop a check in my mailbox, either a couple or one for payment in full. The last I spoke to them was that night, a week before the end of August. They called the next morning, I but missed it. No idea why. I emailed the amounts I am owed once during the first couple days of September, then once more at the end of the month so I would receive the money before I had to make a credit card payment the first week of October. At the end of both emails I requested to be mailed a cashier check or money order with my address and asked to be notified with either a reply or caller ID blocked call when I would get the money and made a point I would not respond when I found out. The second time, I found my email had been blocked, I used another address. Today I tried sending an email that very politely asked if I will see my money, to find that address had been blocked as well. I have saved the emails as Word files or in my sent messages.

The most I can pay toward the balance on my credit card is $500 a month, with high interest. I do not work a few months of the year and would only be able to make minimal payments in that time. Please advise. What can I do? If small claims is an option that would have a favorable outcome for me, please let me know how to pursue that. Thanks.

It will cost you about twice what you already owe to try and collect this.

Write it off as a bad debt and a good life experience.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">