• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cosigner needs help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilabba

What is the name of your state? California. I co signed for a car and now the person is about 45 days late on payments. What do i need to do to be able to take the car into my possesion legaly? I have been told if i make one payment to catch it up that it is legaly mine, but can i just go take it or do i have to send him something in writing that says i am taking the car. thanks... :confused:

racer72

Are you listed on the title as a co-owner of the vehicle? If you are, you can take possession of the vehicle. If you are not listed as a co-owner of the vehicle, you cannot take it even if you make the payments. It does not belong to you, your only obligation is to the loan.

JETX

lilabba said:
What do i need to do to be able to take the car into my possesion legaly?
If your name is not on the title.... there is nothing you can do.... except have to pay if the primary fails.

I have been told if i make one payment to catch it up that it is legaly mine
Whoever told you that is an idiot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">