• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident - WHy would the insurance company say I am liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dan727

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I was traveling on a 2 lane - two way street. I passed through an intersection and roughly 100 feet later a car pulled out of a private drive and I could not avoid hitting the car. The car was attempting to turn left which would put it in the opposite direction of travel I was in. They were attempting to cross my lane to do so.

The police report says the other driver fialed to yield. The driver told the police I was speeding. The driver did not see me so I do not know how she determined I was speeding. There was also a witness that said I ran a red light at the intersection 100 feet back. The people I normally carpool with were 2 cars back and they traveled through the same light with me. So I know it was not red and I mentioned this to the police and he said it did not even matter since the accident was not at the intersection.

I was not speeding and there is nothing in the police report to indicate I was speeding. The police looked at the skid marks and concurred with what I told him happened.

I saw the other driver talking to the witness so I think she told the other driver I was speeding. Thats the only way I could imagine how the drivers statements ended up in the police report. I saw the driver right as I applied the brakes and the driver was looking the other way. I know she did not see me at all. It is a clear shot from the private driveway to the intersection.

The other drivers insurance company is not providing a rental car and as of yet has not approved repairs (altough someone was sent out to look at the car and they did determine it was undrivable). Will I have to get a lawyer?

don't know the details enough to help you, sounds like alot of different information.

If you were not injured I do not suggest getting a lawyer. The insurance company only owes you what your car is worth, nothing more. IF you get a lawyer you can just take what your car is worth, subtract 33%, and thats what you will put into your pocket.

Your better off suing in small claims court when it involves property damage without injury.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">