• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car damages and landowner claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1manzjunk

What is the name of your state? Ohio

While exiting the parking lot of my friend's apartment complex, I backed into a discarded air conditioning unit which had been placed in the rather small parking lot exit near the dumpster. The rather large and heavy unit left a scratch in my rear bumper that I have since had estimated to cost upwards of $700 to repair. Luckily I had my digital camera and took pictures of the damages and the unit placement (in proximity to the exit) after the accident to show that even after I hit the unit it was still blocking the exit. I contacted the house manager to let him know what happened and he gave me the number of the owner whom I called and left a message with him explaining what happened, but he has yet to call back. Just today, I was visiting again and when I was leaving there was a couch and mattress blocking much of the exit again! I took pictures of this as well to show the repeated negligence of the maintenance of the parking lot. My question is, what steps should I take if the owner does not comply with repairing my car? Small claims court? Should I find out and contact the owner's insurance company? Do I even have a case? Thank you in advanced. I'd like educated responses from LAWYERS ONLY PLEASE, No opinions please!!!

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

As the driver of the car, you are responsible for ensuring that your vehicle does not hit any immobile objects in your path. Your car comes with several mirrors and lights to assist you in verifying that the roadway is clear before proceeding.

A

azmother3

you are responsible just like if you hit a parked car still your fault.

your lucky hes not sueing you for damage :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">