• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TX vehicle stolen buyer/cosigner dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mattntx

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
TEXAS

Ok, long story.. I was helped by my uncle and his wife 16 months ago to buy a truck. They co signed for me(to find out later that i was setup as co signer and his wife was the buyer). About two weeks ago he started pressuring me out of the vehicle. Wanting me to trade it in to get something in my name. Well, as much as i didnt want to do this, being i loved my truck, i started looking because i didnt want to cause problems within the family. He and his wife live in North texas. I am in south texas. I started looking, going to dif car lots but because i was 4k upside down it wasnt looking good. I told him that, he offered a way out. I would drive vehicle to him, he would give me 1k cash for my money that i put into it, and i would sign it over. We agreeed on this to happen with in a two week period of time. a day later.. i walk into my apt...walk out 15mins later and my truck is gone. I report it stolen, at that point try and call to inform my uncle of what is going on.. no answer. To find out 30mins later.. from him finally answering phone that he infact took truck.
I had over 1k in stereo equip that i purchased in that truck. We at this point made a agreement the next day to meet, i would remove the items from truck, he would give me 1k cash, and i would sign a power of attorney. Then he would pay off truck, and i would be free of it and have 1k for a down payment on another. Well, the next day when we were spose to meet he informs me that his lawyers say that a power of attorney is not enough to protect him legally. So at that point he says it will take three days and then we will meet and do deal. The next morn i wake up to a message stating that he paid someone to drive the truck from my city, to his location up north. (450miles).
This person in turn wrecked the truck because of a blow out. it is not totalled. I did not have insurance at this time, because i knew that i was prob going to get out of the truck, plus i couldnt afford it for many reasons. Even then from what i was told, my insurance wouldnt of covered the accident due to the fact i wasnt driving the vehicle. Now i know it was infact wrecked because i called my finance company, and they infact have record of a few phone calls my uncles wife made to them asking about what insurance was on truck. He will not tell me location of the truck so i can remove my belongings. He says once i have signed the truck over he will tell me where it is. I have called 50+ plus cities and counties and none of them have record of the truck being impounded nor a wreck. From what im being told that once i sign the truck over theres nothing stopping from completly screwing me. I know at this point i am not going to get the 1k as promised.. but i atleast want my possesions from teh truck which do include family pictures, legal papers, etc etc. Also, the person that he did pay to drive vehicle was injured and i have been informed by my uncle that we now both of us, will possibly be suied. Since i reported the truck stolen 3 days prior, and to this day it is still reported as stolen, am i resonsable for anything about the wreck? doesnt the truck being reported as stolen show proof that i gave no one persmission to drive truck nor did i hire the person who is now injured? Also what legal rights do i have to truck? I cant afford legal fees, im 21 young broke. any advise would be wonderfully helpful being i am begging for help.At this point, i know he will pay off the truck, close to 9k because his credit is flawless and he will not let anything effect it. He has plently of money for that plus any legal fees that may occur. Im really afraid that my uncle, my blood is going to roayally screw me the best he can on this..please help me. If you need any more details i would be more than willing to give them as best i can.

Now i know i didnt have insuance, and that is my fault. But thats not what the issue is with my questions here. I need to know legally what rights do i have to gain access to vehicle, where i stand as far as being responsible for the wreck. Thanks guys for your comments THAT APPLY to the questions i have asked accordinly.

Matt
[email protected]

Last edited:

mattntx

BUMP, no one out there has any thoughts that could help out? come on guys.. this many views.. someones got to know something... thanks in advance

matt

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">