• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do i need to incorportate to do volunteer work ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needadvice75

What is the name of your state? NJ

We are a group of people working towards changing some laws in the country. We want to send out mails (postal and/or emails) to the senators to inform them about the problem and our position. We also want to sent out letters on behalf of the members of our group (of course with their permission). Do we need to incorporate a non-profit org. for sending the letters out ? Would it be illegal to send out letters as volunteers without the umbrella of a formal incorporated organization?

thanks in advance.

seniorjudge

needadvice75 said:
What is the name of your state? NJ

We are a group of people working towards changing some laws in the country. We want to send out mails (postal and/or emails) to the senators to inform them about the problem and our position. We also want to sent out letters on behalf of the members of our group (of course with their permission). Do we need to incorporate a non-profit org. for sending the letters out ? Would it be illegal to send out letters as volunteers without the umbrella of a formal incorporated organization?

thanks in advance.
Form a non-profit group.

501(c)(3) IRS code...I believe. Ask the accountant after you hire him if that is the correct cite.

needadvice75

Thanks for answer. I will try to incorporte it.

I was still interested in knowing whether it would be illegal if i didnt have an organization?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">