• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car dealership renigs on verbal offer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bette66

What is the name of your state? Florida

Two weeks ago my husband and I went to a dealership about 50 miles away where we purchased our last car. We found a 2005 suv that we really did like. We went home and talked about it and decided to go with the deal that they presented to us. I gave them our credit card number over the phone for the hold for a couple of days until we got back in there for the paperwork. When we sat down to do the paperwork, we noticed right away that there was a $3,000. difference not in our favor. We asked her about it right away. She said that she forgot to add in the wheels. So we told her that it was a no go. She left us 3 different times sitting at her desk going to talk with her sales manager. She just kept asking us if there was some compromise that we would agree to. We told her no.
Is there any law that states they have to abide by their original agreement? It was not a drawn up contract, but she did have a piece of paper showing us what she did. Also, I resent the fact that she did not call us ahead of time when she was preparing the contract and knew of this error. I think that she just figured we would not pick up on it. Do we have any recourse?
Thank you

the price was wrong

It's always possible that someone forgot to add the custom(?) wheels when you were given a quote, and that it is a rare occurrence for this dealership.

In California, it would be illegal to charge for any extra or customized equipment unless an "addendum" is attached (within 3 inches of the "MSRP") listing both the equipment (like custom wheels) and the price (like $3,000). Did the vehicle in question have such an addendum (extra sticker)? It sounds to me like the vehicle was presented to you with the wheels. If there was no addendum, they probably can't charge for them, but they will likely try to find another reason to torpedo the deal.

The manager at our dealership got VERY upset if someone forgot to put an addendum on such a vehicle because they couldn't charge for the extra's

Last edited:

Bette66

Dealship renigs

Yes, there was the price for the wheels on the sticker next to the original price as an add on. But when the price was given to us about the truck, we figured that was the price including the wheels we wouldn't think any different. That is their job. It was in plain site for her to look at plus a copy of the papers that were on the vehicle were in a notebook on her desk. Whatever the deal, we feel really put out and I would certainly never reccommend that dealership to anyone.

bad deal

I would mention that, depending on the wheel upgrade, the dealer cost COULD be as low as $100 per wheel, or $400 (could be higher if tires were upgraded). They DO cost more. If you like the vehicle AND the wheels, ask to see the invoice on the wheels and offer them cost on the upgrades. Its unfortunate that this dealership did such a bad job- it leaves a sour taste in buyers mouths that wont soon go away. Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">