• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic fault??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

don_c

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

A local garage replaced the engine of my 2000 rodeo about four months ago. Since day one, the check engine light is on. They clear it, but then it comes right back on. Last week, i had them "fix" it again, and had an argument about warranty issues (12 months). So, the very next day, i have to take it back again, because the light is back on. Last night, a mechanic calls from the shop to say that he's troubleshooting it, and needs me to pick it up and drive it untill the light comes back on. I state that i will be there in 40 minutes, and he says that he can't wait that long (evening). He then states that he doesn't normally do this, but as long as the insurance is up to date on my car (it is) that he can drive it to his home, and back to the shop this morining.
Well, this morning he calls me, and asks if me and my (mechanic) friend can come to the shop and talk to him. We go down there, and he informs me that the transmission failed on the way to the shop today, and he had to have it towed back. Of course, the shop wants nothing to do with it, since they didn't do any work on the transmission. But, there was no warning, and according to my friend, it was kind of a freak thing that doesn't happen very often (the way the transmission failed was not common), and probably wasn't the shops fault. I'm, of course, skepticle. The transmission went out while in there possesion, while he was driving it, and it just doesn't seem like i would be liable. What do ya'll think? I'm already out over $3200 on the engine, and i can't afford another $900 for a transmission, but it's only a year 2000, and we're still paying for it. What should i do? I was thinking small claims court.

also, to add insult to injury, the mechanic wanted me to pay him the $45 it costed for towing it back to the shop.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">