• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help w/ roofing contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wrosz

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

We recently had our roof replaced by a roofing contractor. There were several major problems that we uncovered during the install, and the workers broke our cooling system due to their poor wiring job. The company rep did not call us for over three weeks to do the walk through. We called him up and gave him a list of problems with the new roof. He said he would have to speak w/ his supervisor about this and see what they can do. His supervisor called and left a message that he cannot issue any repairs as he is sending this to their company's attorney. We called him back and asked why this is being escalated to an attorney. He denied what he said. When we asked him to give us in writing specifics of they will do to repair their poor install job, he said their attorney will be in contact with us and hung up the phone on us.

This manager had an extremely poor attitude and was not letting us talk. He also insinutated the fact that we only paid 50% which was agreed in our contract until we are 100% satisfied with their work. He said he does over 1500 roofs each year and he does not need write a letter to us. He made us feel like we're little peons that don't deserve their roof job (they advertise that they are the largest roofing company in town).

Yesterday, the rep came to our house and compiled a list of repairs that they will do. Then he ask both of us to sign it before the repair work can get started. We told him that we'll look at it in detail and get it back to him soon. After he left, I noticed that the signature is referenced to: "I, our name, am 100% satisfied with the work completely on my home by their company." Does this seem fraudulent that they want us to sign this before they fix the repairs?

At this point of time, we really don't want to do any business with this company. We cannot trust that they can repair the problems without replacing the entire roof (which the manager refused to do).

We don't know what to do, and I really hate to pay them the remaining 50% knowing the fact these repairs are difficult to do it right and make it look as if they weren't repaired. Not only that, the manager was extremely rude and aggressive on the phone with us. Can we tell this company that we do not want them to business with them anymore, ask them to take their roof off our house and request a refund? Does anyone have advice how I should proceed? What is our recourse? Should we just take the chance and let them do the repair? Please... we are very desperate and don't know what is the best way to handle this situation.

BTW, I just found out today that there are numerous complaints filed against this company through our Attorney General's office...

Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">