• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wedding photographer -- jacking the prices after contract signed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U2Edge

I live in Marietta, GA., a suburb of Atlanta. Last year (Oct. 9th, 2004), my wife and I got married. We had hired a wedding photographer and one of the "additional services" he offered in the package/contract was a DVD with all the digital images from the wedding for $200, which included all copyright privileges to them which could be purchased ONE YEAR after the event. Since it was our one-year anniversary on Sunday, I called him today (Tuesday, Oct. 11th) and asked him if we could purchase the DVD. He said it would cost us $600. Frustrated, I hung up the phone. I dug up our contract which said it was $200...but there is a clause on the "fine print" page which also says prices are subject to change six months after the event.

Now I can understand any product that can be purchased at any time after the event (or six months after the event) subject to a price increase, but if someone tells me I can't buy something for a year, but when I can buy it that it will be $200, I'd expect it to be $200, not triple that.

Do I stand a chance against this guy or would his stupid "price increase" clause save his sorry butt?

It seems to me like he could tell anyone it would be x-amount a year from now, but then raise it as much as he'd like and get away with it every time.

Thanks for your insight. It is much appreciated.

shortbus

Hard to say. You could argue that the $200 price in the contract was a blatant misrepresentation, since apparently there was no chance you could ever actually buy the DVD at the price.

He could argue that he was giving you a good-faith estimate based on his current costs, but he had no way of knowing exactly what the price would be in a year, thus the 'fine print'.

I'd say he has the advantage. The contract did say prices were subject to change.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">