• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I have to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunedaz

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Colorado
Can someone sue you in small claims court if they say you owe them money and there was no written agreement. I was supposed to go on a trip with someone last year. They were going to pay for the trip and I was going to pay them back. They said it was a no obligation, no strings attached, no interest kind of thing and I could pay them back when I could. I couldn't go on the trip due to a family emergency so they took someone else. Now they expect me to pay them for this trip the other person went on. There was nothing written down it was all verbal. Should I just suck it up and pay them or do they have a case against me?

JETX

sunedaz said:
Can someone sue you in small claims court if they say you owe them money and there was no written agreement.
Yep. The fact that any agreement was not in writing makes it harder to prove an agreement existed.... but if there is sufficient evidence to support a VERBAL agreement, that is enough.

I was supposed to go on a trip with someone last year. They were going to pay for the trip and I was going to pay them back. They said it was a no obligation, no strings attached, no interest kind of thing and I could pay them back when I could. I couldn't go on the trip due to a family emergency so they took someone else. Now they expect me to pay them for this trip the other person went on. There was nothing written down it was all verbal. Should I just suck it up and pay them or do they have a case against me?
Based SOLELY on the information in your post, I doubt that they will get a judgment against you.
If this person had been DAMAGED by your failure to pay (in essence, had to 'eat' the loss), then you would likely be liable. However, this person ALTERED your obligation when they agreed to allow someone else to take your place. That 'alteration' would have waived YOUR obligation..... and the person who actually went should be liable for the cost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">