• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lemon car buying..Good? or Bad?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kcjohn

What is the name of your state? kansas

Hi, guys. My name is john.
Would you give me your opinions on buying a used lemon car ?
This is first time trying to buy a lemon and want to gather information and opinions as much as possible to make up my mind.
Here is the deal that I know so far.
I am trying to buy a known lemon car from a dealer in Alabama.
The car has very low mileage and still under full factory warranty.
The car had problems with supercharger, and the company bought it back and replaced the supercharger. The problem is resolved according to the dealer.
What I am trying to find out now are followings,
If I buy this car and some other mechanical problems arise,
it would still be fixed at no cost as long as it's under the factory warranty.
Do I assuming this right?

What is the right price value for a lemon car ?
How do you figure?
Let's say $40,000 kelly Blue Book value if it is not a lemon.

What would you do if you are the one trying to buy this lemon car ? :confused:

Please fill me in with your knowledge and opinions.

Thank you in advance.

avoiding sour taste

You should be prepared for problems even if the problem has been "fixed". Some issues basically can't be fixed. In 1983, Cadillac came out with an engine that was powerful and smooth but with a major flaw: if the engine became even a little overheated (if I remember correctly) the aluminum alloy heads would warp. Major problem.

My point is that the engine might operate fine for a long time as long as you didn't overheat it, something that happens to probably every vehicle at one time or another, The supercharger issue might be the same (not the overheating part, just designed badly)

The other issue is the substantially reduced value of the vehicle, which will not change unless you move to oregon, which doesn't brand its titles with "LEMON LAW BUYBACK". Depending on the type of vehicle and the type of problem, its value could be reduced by 50%.

teflon_jones

What proof is there that the supercharger was replaced? What proof is their that is the part that caused the lemon law to come into effect on the car? Is the full factory warranty in effect or are there clauses on it? As for the fair price on the car, that's up to you to decide how much less you think you should pay given the car's history.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">