• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unlicensed guy rear ended me...afraid guy is going to get away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bangaue

What is the name of your state? New York

Was at a stoplight with my foot firmly on the brake for about 4 seconds...guy behind rear ended me- damaged my rear bumper and frame. He asked me not to call the cops since he doesnt have a license and he has a cousin who lives around the corner who fixes cars. It was in a dangerous neighborhood so I didnt want to take a chance and called the cops. Cousin arrived and demanded driver to pull over to the side of the road. They got in their cars but instead of pulling over, they drove away. I recorded the license plate and filed a police report. Now it seems to be the insurance companies responsibility but am dismayed at how little they can do. The ins. company said they give the other vehicle's insured 30 days to respond to their calls and letters and then after that they have another 30 days to appeal- they cant force the insured to come forward. And even if they do get in touch with the insured, the person has to admit fault. I dont think the driver of the vehicle was the one insured since he said he was unlicensed, I dont think the insured person will respond to the calls, and I definitely do not believe they will admit fault. Furthermore, I firmly believe that since this cousin is an auto mechanic he will fix his car himself and deny they caused any damage even if the insurance company gets to examine the car. I called the police precinct after but they were not sympathetic and affirmed this is all up to the insurance. I face a $500 deductible plus a raised premium, which i am upset about paying. Can someone tell me what my best case and worst case scenario is and any advice they can give me as to how to proceed with incurring minimal to no financial loss?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">