• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank Deposit Error?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sherry19863

In Texas, my husband deposited 4 checks at the end of September on a Friday through the ATM. They lost one of the checks which was his commission check for over $3,000. We found out the following Monday when I was checking my bank balance online and saw that I had a negative bank balance called the bank immediately to find out why. They told me that his commission check was rejected more than likely due to lack of signature and that we would receive the check in the mail over the next couple of days. We waited, finally, on Thursday we did not receive a check, but a deposit correction slip, in other words, saying they never had that check and they corrected our deposit minus that amount. My husband immediately had his company issue a stop payment for the original check and they issued him another. On October 6, my husband deposited the new check, at the same time the bank issued us a credit for the same amount while they investigate. About a month later, the bank called us, we explained everything, the took out the credit they gave us, we thought everthing was settled. The first week of November, we recieved a letter from the bank, stating they did show the stop payment on the original check and everything was settled. Well, a week later, on 11-17-00, they have credited us, again, the amount of that commission check. My question is, what do we do about it? Can we send them a certified letter, asking them to take out their money and to give them a certain amount of time to do so? If so, how long do we give them, 30 days, 90 days???? The thing is, they should have called us that Friday when they say the check was not in the deposit. Or, if nothing else, when I called them on Monday, they should have been able to tell us then what happened instead of us just guessing, we could have deposited a new check that Monday instead of the following Friday, for a week we had a negative balance and could not get money from the bank if we needed. We shouldn't have to put up with that kind of treatment. The only thing they did to right was pay for any checks that came through cause we have banked with them for many years and have a good standing.

[Edited by Sherry19863 on 11-20-2000 at 11:41 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">