• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CT & PA collection question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Chameleon

Hi everyone --

Some time ago I did some work for a client who did not pay his bills. My company is based in CT, the work was performed in NY, and my client's company is based in PA. I took my client to small claims court in PA and won a judgement by default (my client never showed up). The judgement amount was approximately $4000.00. The 30 day appeal window has passed.

My question is this: What are my options in order to move forward to collect this judgement? It's been suggested by someone at the courthouse that I can have a sherriff (for a fee) post a "notice of sale" on his establishment and/or home. Are there better ways of attempting to collect this debt? Collection agency? Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Chameleon said:
Hi everyone --

Some time ago I did some work for a client who did not pay his bills. My company is based in CT, the work was performed in NY, and my client's company is based in PA. I took my client to small claims court in PA and won a judgement by default (my client never showed up). The judgement amount was approximately $4000.00. The 30 day appeal window has passed.

My question is this: What are my options in order to move forward to collect this judgement? It's been suggested by someone at the courthouse that I can have a sherriff (for a fee) post a "notice of sale" on his establishment and/or home. Are there better ways of attempting to collect this debt? Collection agency? Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks.
My response:

Go to your nearest bookstore and, in their "legal" section, buy a book on the collection of judgments and debts.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">