• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car dealer claimed I bounced check after elec xfer failed.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

car_buyer

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I purchased a used car from a dealer. Partial payment was by credit card and partially by a personal check. While I was there, they apparently electronically transferred the checking funds because they gave me the check back with it stamped "PAID" and "Electronically deposited" plus a receipt. 22 days later they call me and tell me my check bounced and are requesting prompt payment. I told him my check did not bounce, but I could probably get in the next day and bring him a new personal check. He told me they would only accept a cashier's check. I told him I would not give him a cashier's check. He then told me that I could bring the car back. So I decided to do that because I was angry with the way I was treated - since the funds were in my account the whole time (and still are). But when I got down there I was told that returning the car was not an option. They would turn it over to the bank (apparently for repo) if I didn't pay the balance.
Do I have any recourse, or action that I can take?

Thank you in advance. Angry car buyer.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

car_buyer said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I purchased a used car from a dealer. Partial payment was by credit card and partially by a personal check. While I was there, they apparently electronically transferred the checking funds because they gave me the check back with it stamped "PAID" and "Electronically deposited" plus a receipt. 22 days later they call me and tell me my check bounced and are requesting prompt payment. I told him my check did not bounce, but I could probably get in the next day and bring him a new personal check. He told me they would only accept a cashier's check. I told him I would not give him a cashier's check. He then told me that I could bring the car back. So I decided to do that because I was angry with the way I was treated - since the funds were in my account the whole time (and still are). But when I got down there I was told that returning the car was not an option. They would turn it over to the bank (apparently for repo) if I didn't pay the balance.
Do I have any recourse, or action that I can take?

Thank you in advance. Angry car buyer.

My response:

No, you have no recourse. You signed a contract. Now, at the exact moment that the check was presented to the dealership, were there funds to cover that check in your account?

IAAL

car_buyer

Yes, I transferred the funds into my checking account several days before I made the purchase. And the funds are currently still there to cover the check.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

car_buyer said:
Yes, I transferred the funds into my checking account several days before I made the purchase. And the funds are currently still there to cover the check.
My response:

Then, your anger is misplaced. You should be talking to your bank. But, in the meantime, and while you're talking to your bank in person about this problem, have them prepare a cashier's check from the funds in your account and deliver the same to the dealership.

You have no other leverage. The dealership has a signed, enforceable, contract.

IAAL

car_buyer

I talked to my bank and they saw no indication that anyone tried to draw those funds from my account. And they stated that they did not assess a NSF fee so that was not the issue. But, nevertheless, it sounds like you're basically saying that it's irrelevant if it was the bank's fault or the dealer's fault. I still am required to pay the balance.

Thanks for the info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">