• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Accident With Neighbors While Parking In My Driveway.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Darth Furious

What is the name of your state? PA

Please, someone give advice.

I was coming home from work today to find a minivan using my driveway as turn around. As I waited at the T- Intersection in front of my house the minivan pulled away and I pulled up in front of my house - to back into my driveway. There was a car behind me on the street (a few yards away) and i flicked my signal an I started to back into my driveway and then I heard a horn and then a CRUNCH. I look in my side mirror and I see I've backed into this lady and her husband and they are pissed. Let alone the fact they are right on my tail as I'm trying to park in my own DRIVEWAY. WHAT THE HELL?
They say why would you do that? I say why are you pulling up behind me while I'm trying to park?

INITIALLY I DID NOT SEE THEM IN MY MIRROR BECAUSE SHE WAS SO CLOSE TO ME THAT when I backed up it was 2 seconds and my spare tire (mounted on the rear of my Jeep) jammed up on her hood. The husband says we laid on the horn but you backed up so fast we couldnt move. Time to lay on the horn but no time to move? Then he says we watched you back up in slow motion, you didnt even see us. No I didnt. You just said I was backing too fast right?
And how could I be backing so fast into a driveway less than a few feet away? With your car blocking my own driveway. What?

These folks wanted my info, would not give me theirs, only their names and address, and finally their insurance company and were adamant about me agreeing that it was my fault. I said I agree I backed into you but I dont know if you were in motion or not I could not see you, you were too close, and I though you should always be atleast a car length behind someone.

In the end (because we are neighbors) they agreed to get estimates before calling insurance companies but what in God's name do I do and was I entirely at fault? Thay said we've been through all this many times before but I have NEVER had an accident. No Police, no pics, and after I parked my jeep they left the scene soon thereafter.

Somebody please help.

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

You are at fault for hitting them. You were backing up on a public street and did not verify that it was safe to do so. Case closed.

Although you could argue that they were following too close, that would only mean something if they rear ended you if you stopped suddenly. Since you were driving backwards without checking for other vehicles, you are entirely at fault.

Darth Furious

Some Random Guy said:
You are at fault for hitting them. You were backing up on a public street and did not verify that it was safe to do so. Case closed.
But I did verify. Imagine pulling up to a parking space and seeing the car like ten yards away and then back up and BOOM - they're right there behind you. It's almost like she pulled directly into my mirror's blindspot in all of 2 seconds.

I said of all the dumb ways to have an accident. Nice folks too I am just pissed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">