• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with property determination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dguida

What is the name of your state? New Jersey. Not sure where this fits but I'll try here. I was hired by a developer to run a construction office (it's actually a construction trailer). My primary functions were to keep the books and keep things organized. However, I wound up doing much much more. I actually built a web site for the company with the help of my son. I was not compensated for it but as it came together many more demands were made on the design and maintenance issues. My employer is now hinting that he wants the web application where all of the input data is housed loaded to his system. He wants to take "ownership" I suppose. I used so many different software applications to do this and put so much of my own time into it I'm wondering exactly what I am obligated to give him. Not only was all of my software utilized for this but this business ran solely on my personal lap top for 18 months (he was away). He did not want to purchase a pc and leave it in a "trailer" so each day I would come in pop my laptop into a docking station and each night I would leave. I suppose he has a right to some of the other "work and/or documents" but my main concern is the web application I worked so hard and long and was never compensated. He did reimburse me for the domain name and the host subscription.

JETX

dguida said:
I suppose he has a right to some of the other "work and/or documents" but my main concern is the web application I worked so hard and long and was never compensated. He did reimburse me for the domain name and the host subscription.
And one CRITICAL issue here that you seem to have 'overlooked'.... What percentage, if any, of this website was created on company time??

dguida

None of this work was done on company time. It was all done on my own time, at home. 100% of it.

dallas702

Then you need to negotiate a price for your extra services. However, some courts might say you did this of your own free will and let it become part of your job (even though not described in your duties). Make copies of everything to show your next employer how talented you are.

You don't plan to work for this ungrateful jerk again, do you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">