• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Responsibility question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

holly5537

What is the name of your state?Texas

I was married in May 2003 and divorced in June 2004. During my marriage my husband and I bought a motorcycle for which I was the cosigner. In our divorce agreement it stated that he was to assume all claim to the motorcycle and would be responsible for all "indebtedness" with it as well. He was suppose to get the bike taken out of my name, however he did not. Sometime between June 2004 and January 2005 the bike was stolen and there was only liability insurance on it. I was under the impression that the motorcycle was no longer my problem, however yesterday I recieved notices that my exhusband had stopped making payments on the bike in Jaunuary 2005 and the finance company is now demanding payment of $5,528.43 within the next 15 days. If not, they will send it to a collection agency. The finance company doesn't care what the divorce agreement says as far as the loan is concerned. In an email corresponse with my exhusbands new wife, through his email address, she basically told me that they didn't have the money and were no longer able or willing to make anymore payments whatsoever in this matter. Now, he already had bad credit and doesn't care if his credit gets ruined a little more. My credit was, until now, in good standing, and I had worked very hard to get it and keep it that way. This is now causing me problems and I need to know what legal course of action I can take. I know the limit for small claims court is $5,000 but can I take him to court to get that amount and just pay the remaining $528.43 myself? If I can't go through small claims court, what can I do? I don't exactly have the money to pay this off (and its not my responsibility to) but I don't exactly have the money for a lawyer either?
HELP

Thanks

JETX

holly5537 said:
I know the limit for small claims court is $5,000 but can I take him to court to get that amount and just pay the remaining $528.43 myself?
Most courts will allow you to waive the excess amount and proceed within the jurisdictional limit ($5k).

If I can't go through small claims court, what can I do?
You would have to file in a higher court (County Court at Law or District Court).

I don't exactly have the money to pay this off (and its not my responsibility to) but I don't exactly have the money for a lawyer either?
Can't help you there.

holly5537

In Small claims court I would not need to get a lawyer, I could do it on my own, so since the amount is over $5,000 can I use small claims court. And is this an appropriate case for small claims court. Do I have a case? I don't want to go to court if I don't have a case against them.

JETX

holly5537 said:
In Small claims court I would not need to get a lawyer, I could do it on my own, so since the amount is over $5,000 can I use small claims court.
Yes.
Yes.
Maybe. Some small claims courts will accept a 'reduced' claim to get within the limit (if they know that was done). Some wont'. All up to the court. Call them and ask.

And is this an appropriate case for small claims court.
If within the courts $5k limit, yes.

Do I have a case? I don't want to go to court if I don't have a case against them.
In my opinion, based SOLELY on the information in your post, you have a good chance of getting a judgment against him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">