• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank Error in my Favor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

David1

Two and a half years ago I sold my home and bought a new home. Between the sale and the purchase of the homes there was a difference of approx. $3000.00. The title company was to wire that money in my account. They wired the wrong amount in my account. At the time I thought it might be the incorrect amount but did not say anything because I thoughtthere might be something I did not know. So I kept the money in my acount for quite along time thinking if it was a error the would notify me. They never notified me so I thought it was legit. Last week my bank notified me that the Title company tried to access my account,(trying to find out if the deposit was made) but the bank did not let them access claiming that the amount of time between the transaction was to long ago. My question is can I still be liable for this money or is there a stature of limitations in something like this? Now that I know it was a error I feel liked I robbed a bank. Should I get a lawyer? or should I go right to the title company and talk to them and pay them back? Thanks for any advice.

B

buckspc

Pay the money back!

Of course you should go to the title co. and pay them their money back. Feel lucky that they don't charge you interest for all those years. You know this money does not belong to you so what is the ? You don't need legal advice for this just be an honest and upright citizen. IMO, bucksp

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

Now that you know it was an error? Please! Now you know the error was discovered. You knew it was an error all along, but, because in your favor, you said nothing.

My opinion is that a person who does nothing upon discovering a bank error in his favor is guilty of theft. Same analysis when you get too much change.

Very cute.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">