• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used car problems the day drove off the lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jonesbe

What is the name of your state? KANSAS

We purchased a used 95 car with 62,000 miles. It had a 90 day limited warranty covering powertrain-internal lubricated parts. The same day of the purchase the car started having problems changing gears. We couldn't get it to go over 30 mph. On the way back to the dealership repair shop the problem stopped. They said that it needs a wiring harness since the problem is sporadic and wants us to pay $1,445 to fix it! Are there any laws that would require them to refund our money and keep the car? What other suggestions do you have? Thank you!

Crazed98

When you buy a used car you all buy the problems with it. Take the car to local auto repair shops and you can probobly get the car fixed for cheaper.

teflon_jones

I'd say take it to another shop. Replacing a wiring harness to fix a transmission shifting problem? :confused: That's unlikely to fix the problem.

dallas702

Teflon is right. First, a tranny not upshifting is more likely a vacuum modulator or some other component. Second, you can replace the entire wiring harness for the car for $1445.

That said, I will tell you that many Chrysler/Dodge cars and vans of the '90s are susceptible to main wiring harness damage because the bundle sits right under the battery. Battery acid leaks down and corrodes the connectors and wires. They may have to be replaced, and Chrysler can charge quite a bit for the harness....but they can also be cut, stripped, and rewired for about $300. I hope you don't have one of these.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">