• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get my money back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needmymoney

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TX.
I had a medical insurance company rep. come to my house so that I could get extra coverage. I paid the $30. through automatic draft for the first month fee and told her I would talk it over with my husband. Meanwhile life happened and I forgot about it and I also never received the membership cards or additional information in the mail. Now, two years later as my husband and I were automating our personal banking, I noticed that this company was still drafting our account monthly for the $30.00. Since I didn't have any information other than what was printed on my bank statement, I called the drafting bank and got the company's phone number. When I explained the situation, they said that since I signed up for it, I was basically out of luck. When I had them fax me the application, I noticed that they forged my name to the box on the application giving permission to draft every month. I only signed the overall application. Now, I have been trying to get resolve since May (when I discovered it). Today, they called back and said that they won't return my money because than they would be out the money. I tried explaining that I never received membership cards until I called to cancel in May (they came the next day). She said that they have no way to prove if I have benefitted from their services or not, therefore they can't refund the money. When I again pointed out that the application was fraudelently signed, they said it didn't matter because I should have contacted them sooner.
Am I out of luck here? I realize that I should have been looking at my bank statements more thoroughly, however, all this time my husband has done our books and he just cleared the drafts as Doctor bills. Should they have to take responsibility because someone in their office is falsifying information?
I am willing to go to court over this, if it sounds like I have a case.

JETX

needmymoney said:
I am willing to go to court over this, if it sounds like I have a case.
Your allowing this to go on for TWO YEARS without any challenge could be viewed by the court as a case of 'buyers remorse'. Simply, you bought the coverage and now that you find you didn't need it, you want a refund.

So, close the account (to block their continued draws) and then file a lawsuit against them. Present your case to the court. You have a chance of getting some or all of your money back..... depending on the FACTS you can present. Like YOUR copy of the contract without the authorization to draft your account!!

needmymoney

Can I get my money back

Now I have been going back and forth with the Better Business Bureau in the middle. There are new issues that have come up, like the fact that they stated to the BBB that they know they sent the membership cards to me on June 13,2003 however, the contract clearly states the effective date as July, 1, 2003. Hummm.
i have contacted the State District Attorney's office regarding this. They have several other complaints on them regarding similar issues and prompted me to file a complaint with them as well. They said there are no limitations on fraud.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">