• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have enough evidence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mashac05

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York
I put someones name onto my credit card account to help them build credit. Although I tried to explain how credit companies work, he still went and charged $400 on it. I told him that the interest is high and he must pay anything he charged when the bill comes. That was 5 months ago. He calls me every other month to tell me that he'll pay that month. I have 2 emails from me to him stating what he owes with his reply, "ok." The problem is that the registered name on the email address is not his name. He got his cellphone back and I just recorded a conversation with him about the money. He said that he'll pay in two installment, one this month, one the next. Do I have enough evidence to go to small claims if he doesn't come through? If not, what else can I do? By the way, I didn't tell him I recorded the conversation, could I still use it in court? (He's no longer on my account) Please help. Thanks in advance.

JETX

mashac05 said:
Do I have enough evidence to go to small claims if he doesn't come through?
Yep. In fact, you don't need ANY evidence to go to small claims court.

If not, what else can I do?
A written agreement signed by the other party 'confessing' to the debt would help.

By the way, I didn't tell him I recorded the conversation, could I still use it in court?
Go ahead and present it. The court will let you know if it is admissable or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">