• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and run sign damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlkalk

What is the name of your state? massachusetts my son hit a sign and a couple of whiskey barrel flower pots. Because he thought he was ok and his vechicle was fine he just drove off. His license plate had fallen off at the scene and the police track him down within a short period of time. They checked him for alcohol and drugs. He was clean. Just was confused at what to do. He is a new driver (no excuse) He is going to get a summons in the mail for leaving the scene of an accident and destruction of property. We were called by the police who told us that we could come and get his license plate, that they had taken pictures of it. When he went to get it they said he couldn't have it because it is part of evidence. However he can't drive without the plate. The pole of the sign was fine, its the sign part that got bent and the flower pots just got the dirt knocked out of them. they weren't broken. My question is why are they keeping the plate as evidence, he is admitting his fault? Do we need to get an attorney?

jlkalk said:
What is the name of your state? massachusetts my son hit a sign and a couple of whiskey barrel flower pots. Because he thought he was ok and his vechicle was fine he just drove off. His license plate had fallen off at the scene and the police track him down within a short period of time. They checked him for alcohol and drugs. He was clean. Just was confused at what to do. He is a new driver (no excuse) He is going to get a summons in the mail for leaving the scene of an accident and destruction of property. We were called by the police who told us that we could come and get his license plate, that they had taken pictures of it. When he went to get it they said he couldn't have it because it is part of evidence. However he can't drive without the plate. The pole of the sign was fine, its the sign part that got bent and the flower pots just got the dirt knocked out of them. they weren't broken. My question is why are they keeping the plate as evidence, he is admitting his fault? Do we need to get an attorney?

Were you with your son when he went to get the plate? It doesn't make sense that they would keep the plate. Is there more to the story than what he's telling you?

jlkalk

InsuranceLadyAZ said:
Were you with your son when he went to get the plate? It doesn't make sense that they would keep the plate. Is there more to the story than what he's telling you?

No, there isn't, the officer that had talked to us after talking to him said he was very co operative and polite. He answered all the questions and had no problem with his attitude. I didn't go down with him but I am going to go to the station tomorrow to see what I can find out. The police did call me and said we could pick it up so I don't understand why the run around. My son will be 18 in a week so I didn't feel I should have gone with him. He just got his license last month.

jlkalk

jlkalk said:
No, there isn't, the officer that had talked to us after talking to him said he was very co operative and polite. He answered all the questions and had no problem with his attitude. I didn't go down with him but I am going to go to the station tomorrow to see what I can find out. The police did call me and said we could pick it up so I don't understand why the run around. My son will be 18 in a week so I didn't feel I should have gone with him. He just got his license last month.

I was able to pick it up this morning. I think the other officer just had no idea where to look, because it took awhile for them to find it. But should I still get him an attorney?

jlkalk said:
I was able to pick it up this morning. I think the other officer just had no idea where to look, because it took awhile for them to find it. But should I still get him an attorney?
I think if he's admitting fault he should just take his lumps and move on. An attorney seems like a waste of money if he's pleading guilty anyway.

jlkalk

InsuranceLadyAZ said:
I think if he's admitting fault he should just take his lumps and move on. An attorney seems like a waste of money if he's pleading guilty anyway.

Ok, Thank You.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">