• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fact Or Fiction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TRAUMATIZEDINCA

What is the name of your state? CA.
my girlfriend and i were severly rear ended by another driver. i decided to settle with the drivers insurance company, and she decided to stay with our lawyer and persue the case because the driver was working on the clock making a delivery for his work, therefore she caould be compensated a lot more than a 15/30 policy by going after the drivers employer (who was also the owner). my friend told me, that he recently researched the law a bit and discovered that my friend can settle with the insurance company as well for the other $15,000 and then turn right around and go after the owner. is this true? can you settle with 2 different parties for the same accident case? please let me know if this is true!

rmet4nzkx

TRAUMATIZEDINCA said:
What is the name of your state? CA.
my girlfriend and i were severly rear ended by another driver. i decided to settle with the drivers insurance company, and she decided to stay with our lawyer and persue the case because the driver was working on the clock making a delivery for his work, therefore she caould be compensated a lot more than a 15/30 policy by going after the drivers employer (who was also the owner). my friend told me, that he recently researched the law a bit and discovered that my friend can settle with the insurance company as well for the other $15,000 and then turn right around and go after the owner. is this true? can you settle with 2 different parties for the same accident case? please let me know if this is true!
You are/were represented in this action and went to arbratition, you were offered a $200,000 settlement, that is a lot more than 15/30. A decision was made based on the neuropsychological evaluation to not pursue certain causes of action because the cost of that would likely not be recovered in a settlement. You should have discussed with your attorney, who you were suing, the statute of limitations and the consequences of those decisions. Did your girlfriend include you in her lawsuit if you had the same attorney? These are questions your attorney needs to answer. I believe that you have already discussed your options with your attorney but may not understand or like them. Just because you and your girlfriend were in the same accident, doesn't mean that your individual situation and history will result in the type of settlement you want even if your injuries may be more serious, your history of past substance abuse will factor into the picture and become an issue in the litigation no matter how unfair that might seem. You have not answered my further questions on your previous threads.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">