• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan Caveat Emptor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bradspace

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My father passed away recently and I sold a pool table belonging to him that he said was a slate table. Not knowing the difference, I sold it as such only to be informed by the buyer that after removing the felt, he found that it was, in fact, a plywood surface. He has since taken me to court to get his $100 back. I am interested in finding out if it was my responsibility to have known and provided him with the information (assuming he is correct, as I have not confirmed his claim) that is was not slate, or is Michigan a caveat emptor (buyer beware) state and he is responsible for finding this out before purchase. Any guidance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

racer72

Base your defense that the pool table, even with a plywood playing surface is worth the $100 the buyer paid along with your other suggestions and I believe you will do fine in court. Plus claim you did not intend to deceive the buyer.

JETX

bradspace said:
My father passed away recently and I sold a pool table belonging to him that he said was a slate table. Not knowing the difference, I sold it as such only to be informed by the buyer that after removing the felt, he found that it was, in fact, a plywood surface. He has since taken me to court to get his $100 back. I am interested in finding out if it was my responsibility to have known and provided him with the information (assuming he is correct, as I have not confirmed his claim) that is was not slate, or is Michigan a caveat emptor (buyer beware) state and he is responsible for finding this out before purchase. Any guidance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Contrary to what you are told by others... if you made the claim it was slate, you are liable for your claim. Give the guy his $100 back and get the table back.
Then sell it without claiming something you are not sure of.

By the way... Caveat Emptor does not apply in this case as there is no way short of removing the felt for the buyer to have inspected it. The buyer relied on YOUR claim that it was..... when it wasn't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">