• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wedding Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

derff44444

What is the name of your state? PA

My fiance and i are now 2 weeks from getting married at a local resort. I just foudn out that starting four days before our reception they will be starting construction on the building. The contruction crews will be tearing apart the reason we booked this hotel. They have a 2 story indoor waterfall running through the reception area. Now we are just going to have a standard room at the hotel, and that is not what we paid all this money for. I cant cancel the contract becuase their is no other place that can put a wedding together in 2 weeks. I aslo cant cancel it because we have about 100 people coming in from out of state with travel reservations. I dont know what to do, but i would like some of my money back. Do I have any options?

seniorjudge

derff44444 said:
What is the name of your state? PA

My fiance and i are now 2 weeks from getting married at a local resort. I just foudn out that starting four days before our reception they will be starting construction on the building. The contruction crews will be tearing apart the reason we booked this hotel. They have a 2 story indoor waterfall running through the reception area. Now we are just going to have a standard room at the hotel, and that is not what we paid all this money for. I cant cancel the contract becuase their is no other place that can put a wedding together in 2 weeks. I aslo cant cancel it because we have about 100 people coming in from out of state with travel reservations. I dont know what to do, but i would like some of my money back. Do I have any options?
Your options are to have the wedding in the standard room or go somewhere else.

Your choice.

derff44444

how can i possibly go somewhere else with 2 weeks left? This resort should not be able to sell features to people, get them under contracts, and then take it away without resitution.

seniorjudge

derff44444 said:
how can i possibly go somewhere else with 2 weeks left? This resort should not be able to sell features to people, get them under contracts, and then take it away without resitution.
Time to do some serious negotiating with the resort.

attny-wanna-bee

That sucks.

Advice: Read the fine print on the contract. Although your appeal and interest in hosting your blessed day at this function hall was enhanced by said waterfall (I am sure it would have been wonderful for photographing cherished memories), it may not be an obligation that the establishment is required to fulfill.

Is the waterfall depicted or listed in any of the brochures or signed documents that you have in your possession?

attny-wanna-bee

My advice to you here at this stage of the game would be to sit down with the manager of the establishment and voice your sincere disappointment at what is transpiring. Express a concern that the waterfall was a detrimining factor in your selection of this facility and that no one at any time had conveyed to you or your fiance that this cornerstone would be absent.

I feel that a legal case can be made here (at unfortunate additional expense to yourself), but I would honestly advise trying to appeal to their good side and see what type of compensation they are prepared to offer before pursuing any legal avenues. You may be surprised.

At any rate, please follow-up and let us know.

derff44444

Thank you for your thoughts. I did try what you had suggested. Their offer was to give an extra hors' devour or extra drinks at the bar. However I still find this unsatisfactory. As i stated earlier i feel we paid the extra money for the atmosphere they were providing. They told me flat out that they would not discount anything off of the price. Is there any legal action i can take? I do understand if there is there will be a cost to me, however, i feel that it is the principal of the matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">