• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shady Auto Shop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crumb

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Utah
I had my car 'fixed' at a local repair shop. The mechanic took 2 weeks to repair it because he had ordered the wrong part a couple times. Anyway, I called one day to see when my car would be done and they quoted me the cost of the repair to be $604. This seemed high to me but I was more concerned with just getting my car back. A few days later when it was done, I went to pick it up and the mechanic told me it would cost $870. I mentioned the phone conversation and he told me their must have been a mistake. So I paid him the 870. I got the car back and it leaked oil and wasnt put back together correctly(loose nuts, plastic cover not on right, oil leak, etc) so I took it back. I am now very dissatisfied with this company and would like to get some money back for overcharging me and doing a sloppy job. Now that they have my money they treat me horribly. What I would like to know is if the quote over the phone was binding in any way and how to deal with a shady company like this.
ps.. after taking it there I was told they were a bad company

Thanks for any help
-Andy

shady shop

There are different avenues you can explore. One would be your state consumer affairs dept. Google it as such with your states name. This sounds like a VERY shady mechanic. You did the right thing by paying the bill first; now, go get 'em!

dallas702

First, don't waste you time going back to him for more repairs. Get the car fixed at another REPUTABLE shop. Get an estimate/statement of how much the first repair (and how long) should have cost. Then, send the first shop a certfied letter demanding your money back. When he refuses take him to small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">