• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will not give my property back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amadoriesourgir

What is the name of your state?CT, but the state that this happened in was AZ. A year ago i was house sitting for my husbands grandma while my husband was in bootcamp. well before he left he gave me her credit card and said do not use unless you need to. well i did not want to, but i had a flat tire (200$) to replace the tire becuase it was on the side wall. My brakes gave out (300$) i drive a camaro. well i used the card at a ATM. well to make a long story short. I left his grandma's house to go to my mothers funeral. I took a bag of clothes and left for three days well his grandma came home and i called her to tell her that i was coming back and she told me that i was going to jail for credit card thieft. i told her that i will pay her back when my husband was out of bootcamp and that i was extreamly sorry. well she said that she had pressed charges on me and that i should not come back. i cried for a while and then asked if i could get my stuff and then i would leave. she told me that it was now her stuff and that she never wanted to hear from me again.
well my husband talked to her when he got out of bootcamp and she told him that she did not call the cops and the credit card company droped that charges and if he wanted his stuff that she would send it to him. he also told him that she gave my stuff the his cousin.
i wrote to her and asked for my things and she did not say anything about sending anything to me. is there any thing that i could do? My wedding ring and my recently passed mother's wedding ring was also in the stuff.

thank you for the help!!

BL

Gee , maybe if you pay Grandma for your car repairs , the belongings might magically appear .

amadoriesourgir

she will not except the money. i tried to give it to her (1000$) and my husband tried too also. she doesnt want the money. belive me if it was that simple i would not have to ask for advise.

dcatz

(this is uncommonly messy . . .)

Ok. Are you asking whether you have any legal rights? You do. Do you want to explore them and go there next? It's going to play havoc with the family unit, now and forever, so think hard. If you do, confirm it. You'll get suggestions, even some informed, in a forum like this.

Was grandma ever made whole (did she get all the money back in some way)? and,
What is your husband doing about all this?

My suggestion would be to find a good family or divorce (you're in the same dynamic) mediator in grandma's hometown, and have him/her convene a mediation. Mediation is the oldest form of dispute resolution and the most successful one today. It's less expensive than any form of litigation (frequently free or close to it) and more effective in binding the parties. Try something constructive before you try something destructive. If it doesn't work, you can always go to court later.

Three truths:
Grandma is going to have to agree (getting agreement can be left to the mediator)
You all are going to have to commit.
You personally are going to end up apologizing and apologizing.

But, among other things, you'll end up with your rings back.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">