• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do you know if the settlement is fair?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Clark1

What is the name of your state?California

My son was recently in a car accident (not his fault). Since he only had liability, we're representing ourselves with the other driver's insurance. We have finally come to the settlement stage and we're told that two checks would be issued. One for damages to the auto, and the other for lost wages, doctor's bills, etc. My concern is how do we know what we're being offered is fair. What is the normal compensation for an auto that is totaled? Also, my son was unable to work for one month due to injuries sustained in the accident, and we, the parents, also had to take time off work to take care of him. Do they account for that?
Any help is much appreciated. :)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Clark1 said:
What is the name of your state?California

My son was recently in a car accident (not his fault). Since he only had liability, we're representing ourselves with the other driver's insurance. We have finally come to the settlement stage and we're told that two checks would be issued. One for damages to the auto, and the other for lost wages, doctor's bills, etc. My concern is how do we know what we're being offered is fair. What is the normal compensation for an auto that is totaled? Also, my son was unable to work for one month due to injuries sustained in the accident, and we, the parents, also had to take time off work to take care of him. Do they account for that?
Any help is much appreciated. :)

My response:

There is no way to advise you properly or adequately without seeing your claim file, and his medicals, the collision report, and a whole host of other factual data, etc. I would, however, suggest this to you - - if an insurance company is willing to settle, you can bet it's not favorable enough for your son. They're in business to save money, not spend it on claimants. Therefore, I would further suggest that you retain a Personal Injury attorney for your son, assuming he's under age 18. If he's over 18, he can hire one on his own.

As for you being compensated for your time, the answer is no. You are doing what a parent is expected to do for their child. There is no such thing as "Loss of Consortium" between parent and child.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">