• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help Me Please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeedsGoodAdvice

Help Me Please-Roof Damage

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I have a Home Owners Insurance problem and need some advice as I am not sure what direction to head in at this point .
back in July 19 2005 during a thunderstorm storm , as I lay on my bed I heard a loud cracking sound followed by a swooshing sound
then several very loud big booms at which time my entire house literally shook .... something had hit my roof .
I jumped up and ran outside and saw that several large tree limbs had snapped and hit the roof of my home .
From my driveway area I could see a large limb up on the roof and partially hanging off the roof and
several large limbs also had bounced from the roof and were in my driveway .
I didnot know what damages were done to the roof as I donot get up on roofs and wasn't getting up there to look ...
I called my insurance company explained the situation and filed a claim at which time they assigned me an claim number and claims adjuster who advised me to contact a licensed roofing contractor to come out and inspect the damage and provide an estimate .
Took me about a week to find a contractor ...
The contractor came out and did a thorough inspection and provided me with an estimate of the damages and also took pictures of the huge
limbs still up on the roof and the damaged area's .
I faxed the estimate which was 4500.00 or so in damages to my claim person who then transferred the claim to another adjuster in my local area .
A day or so later I received a call from the new adjuster who scheduled a date to come out.
The new adjuster came out and this is exactly how that went ...
He DIDNOT get up on the roof , instead stood on the ground in my driveway and looked up at the roof .
You cannot see up on top of my roof where the damage area is from the ground area .
He could see the limbs still partially hanging off the roof ...
He then walked around to the other side of my home ( where you STILL cannot see up on the roof and for what I don't know ) ...
He asked if any pictures were taken and I provided him with copies of the pictures that the contractor had taken .
He then said OK , I have what I need .
He was here and gone within 7 minutes .

Latter part of August I get a check in the mail along with a brief cover letter ...
The check was in the amount of 365.00 ???
My deductible is 250.00 and after the 250.00 deduction the check was for 365.00 ???

I was FURIOUS !
I could not understand how this guy came from 4500.00 to 365.00 ??? ... Based on What ???
I at that point contacted the contractor to see if this guy ( adjuster ) had contacted him ... he ( contractor ) said no .
I rejected the insult of a check, sent it back to the insurance company on 8/31/05 along with a cover letter detailing why I was rejecting this check and
of course sent it with signature required upon receipt .
The returned documents and check was signed for at their end on 9/2/2005 .
Expecting to hear from them , I waited patiently .
Finally after not hearing from them by 10/4/05 I contacted them .
Was told I needed to speak directly to the adjuster who handeled the claim ... which I did next .
When I first got this guy on the phone , He had not a clue what I was talking about .
He went on eventually to tell me he had sent out a check which was the last transaction on the claim ...
I proceeded to tell him , no , the last transaction was me rejecting the check which he then told me he never received .
I went on to tell him It was signed for by ... on the date of 9/2/2005 .
He then put me on hold for 10 minutes and then came back and said OK , I do have the check and cover letter on my desk .
I then waited while I listened to him read to hisself the letter .
I asked him where he got that 365.00 figure from ??? ... No Real Response ???
I stated to him what is that based on ... how can you issue that figure ???
You never got on the roof , you were gone in 7 minutes and to further add you have not even spoken to the contractor who issued the estimate so where does that low figure come from ??? .

He then told me OK , I will contact the contractor today .... DuHHHHH ????
ON 10/7/05 When I got home I had a voice mail from this adjuster who said he had spoken with the contractor on yesterday 10/6/05.
He went on to say that there is minimal damage to the actual shingles on the roof the shingles are cracked and there is a hole , However, the contractor had informed him there is also damage to the actual sheathing and
wood under the shingles and the contractor naturally needs to remove the shingles in order to get the the actual damages .
The adjuster said they only cover damages they can actually see ??? ...
And would not cover the cost to have the contractor remove the shingles to get down to more in depth damage ???
He stated that if I had any questions please give em a call and on friday 10/7/05 I did return his call because to me
that made no sence whatsoever and neither does it make any sence to the contractor .
He was not in his office back on 10/7/05 when I returned that call or at least I got his voicemail and I left a detailed message stressing for him to call me asap .
Well it is now 10/14/05 ... a week later and still no return call .

WHAT DO I DO HERE ?????

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">