• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car out of warrenty w/ problem addressed before end

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mac105

What is the name of your state? PA
Mac105 has givne me permission to use his computer to ask question. Waiting on car dealership to call me back.

I leased then bought a 2001 Pontiac in '05 that I had to take back to the dealership several times for a transmission problem. As it goes sometimes, when I took it back the problem was not evident. The transmission problem has continued to happen periodically and has been really bad the past 2 days. I checked with a local mechanic who DID NOT touch anything but DID take the car for a drive. He said he wasn't sure what it was but it didn't sound good.

My question is since I had the car to the dealership for the same problem before the warrenty expired and the problem was not solved/fixed, can I still expect to get help for the problem from the dealership? It has always been my understanding that if it wsa corrected under warrent but still exits that it would be treated as an 'under warrenty' problem.

Thanks for your help. I will keep checking here as I wait for the dealership to call me back.

seniorjudge

Q: My question is since I had the car to the dealership for the same problem before the warrenty expired and the problem was not solved/fixed, can I still expect to get help for the problem from the dealership?

A: No, unless you can prove that the dealership had actual notice of the defect before the warranty expired.

mac105

Thank you for your response. Yes, I do have paperwork showing I had asked to have a 'front brake-frontend-transmission?' (that's how it was written on work sheet) problem addressed before the warrenty expired. I appreciate you and mac105 (on vacation) for allowing me to use this site.

dallas702

Also check the vehicle maintenance/complaint history for that model. Those are notorious for trans failures, so there should be some recall or above average repair/warranty info from the factory. Do some searches under Pontiac (your model and trans type/serial number), "problems", "complaints", "recalls", or "failures".

crabber

Also if work was on the transmission and was within 12 months of being repaired {Most} dealerships warrant their work for one year so it should still be under their labor and repair warranty even if the actual car warranty has exspired. :rolleyes: cool:

mac105

Thank you all for your responses. dallas 702, I did as you suggested and DID find several things.

Here is how it ended up: I spoke with dealership and they said that b/c it was out of warranty, they would still charge me 'slightly less' than the expected approx. $2000. But the man ALSO suggested I call the main office and tell them about the problem and explain that I had the paperwork from in-warranty. I did that. About an hour later, I got a call from the dealership and they said to have the car towed there and they would take care of the problem as though it were still covered, and no charge to me. Got the car back yesterday and it runs very well. Once again, thank you all, and thanks to mac105 for the use of this site.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">